Freedom from What?
Everyone who works hard and plays by the rules should thrive in America. As hard-working people who are trying to make a living and support our families, we are working harder and harder to make ends meet. But our system is broken and rules favor corporations and the very wealthy. Indeed, working people are under attack in an attempt to weaken unions and undermine our rights.
The Olympia-based Freedom Foundation has been contacting public employees at their homes and workplaces to convince them to drop their union membership. You can find out more about the Freedom Foundation at the Northwest Accountability Project.
AFT Washington has committed to having a conversation with every member about the benefits of membership, and we will be working with local leaders to engage your membership. For more information, contact Dan Troccoli at AFT Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-432-8074 or your labor representative, Nancy Kennedy or Merrilee Miron.
Here are some materials you can download and use for your member engagement efforts and when talking to your members.
- A letter from AFT Washington President Karen Strickland on membership engagement
- The AFT Washington Resolution on Member Engagement as passed by the delegates at the biennial convention.
- The Facts About the Freedom Foundation
- Stand Together Now, a flyer about the benefits of belonging to your union
- A petition asking to increase the number of full-time positions, to implement pay equity for part-time faculty, and to reform hiring standards to promote fairness, racial equity, and transparency.
- A commitment card (2 to a page) to give to members and non-members to complete that affirms their commitment and gives them actions they can sign up for to engage with members.
- A contact sheet to complete on everyone who has been contacted about joining the union.
- A tracking sheet on participation to see if goals are met.
- A sample rap for talking to co-workers about joining the union.
- A format for members to tell their story about what it's like to work in education and what it means to them. These stories will be collected and used when talking to legislators, on social media, and websites to share and get to know our members and to highlight the work they do to contribute to our society.